Autoresponder Behaviour

w0rmz

Hi all,
I have some specific questions around Mailwizz Autoresponder behavior, with respect to integration with other software.

I have one list with several segments, based on custom fields. These are based on membership types, but for simplicity, lets call them segment 1, 2 and 3.

When a user is first subscribed to the list, they will be in segment 1. Depending on whether they upgrade their membership etc, we may want to update that user with the API, using the following code:

$response = $endpoint->createUpdate('listid', array(
'EMAIL' => $user->email,
'FNAME' => $user->name_f,
'LNAME' => $user->name_l,
'SEGMENT' => $segment,
));

The user is updated in Mailwizz, and they now belong to another segment within that list.

That was the easy bit! All working well.

I need to setup 3 different series of Autoresponders. Each series will only be sent to users in the segment corresponding to that autoresponder series. For example, Autoresponder series 1 will be sent to segment 1, Autoresponder series 2 to segment 2 etc.

I need each autoresponder in each series to fire after a specific time period after the user is assigned to that segment (NOT the list) - using the above API call (or another api call (like delete and re-create the user?).

If a user leaves a segment (for example, is moved from segment 1 to segment 2), then segment 1 should cease to send to that user.

Is this feasible?

My suspicion is that the autoresponder is triggered after the user is added to the list, and if they fit the segment that is set in the autoresponder, then the autoresponder will fire. By using the createUpdate API call, we're only updating them, so this will not reset the autoresponder timing. We need to delete and then re-add the subscriber with the new segment for this to work, which will reset the autoresponder timings for that customer. Correct?

UPDATE: I've implemented the above using:

$endpoint1->deleteByEmail('listid', $user->email);

And it is worked as desired. I am still unsure if updating the users segment will reset the autoresponders, and this would be good to know.

Last edited:
I need each autoresponder in each series to fire after a specific time period after the user is assigned to that segment (NOT the list) - using the above API call (or another api call (like delete and re-create the user?).
I explained in a post a few days ago that segments are basically just conditions applied to a list, they don't have dates or the like. A subscriber is part of the segment if it matches certain condition, so we can't trigger an action after subscriber matches the segment for now.

UPDATE: I've implemented the above using:

$endpoint1->deleteByEmail('listid', $user->email);

And it is worked as desired.
That's expected, it's basically a new subscriber.

I am still unsure if updating the users segment will reset the autoresponders, and this would be good to know.
Not sure what the question is here, maybe you can give me more details.

That's fine, your response to my first quote explains it.

Updating the user's segment, will not initiate any autoresponder that matches that segment as if they were freshly subscribed to the list - only resubscribing them to the list will initiate all autoresponders.

There is scope for an improvement here. May I suggest that, optionally, if a subscriber changes segment, that this will trigger all autoresponders again? I suggest that this is set at the list level. I.e. a checkbox that will enable this behavior. If the checkbox is enabled at the list level, when a user is updated, mailwizz checks to see if they have been added/removed to any segments, if this is true, then all autoresponders are triggered again for that user again as if they have been re-added.

The problem with delete and then re-creating with API, is in the case of a more complex list with many custom fields, we need to read them all and re-submit them with the re-creation of that user. Would be much easier to just update the custom field that effects the segment they belong to.

Thanks so much.

May I suggest that, optionally, if a subscriber changes segment, that this will trigger all autoresponders again? I suggest that this is set at the list level. I.e. a checkbox that will enable this behavior
This is something we'd really like to add in future, we just need to change the way our segments work a bit more, so it needs some planning. But it is doable.

Thanks,
I've used many of the commercially available solutions. In particular, Campaign Monitor has really powerful list segmentation capabilities. I think with a list centric design like Mailwizz (as opposed to subscriber centric like arpreach), segmentation has to be powerful, to prevent a blowout on the number of lists needed. Subscriber centric design has other issues as i'm sure you're aware! Now that I've got my head wrapped around the intricacies of Mailwizz, I think segmentation would be a great place to focus development efforts - but obviously I'm just one in a sea of customers with their own demands! Great product, cheers for your time.

Any updates on this? I could use that feature right now :D

I guess the workaround would be to create a lot of new lists instead of using custom fields and segments, but I hate the mess it will create.

This is something we'd really like to add in future, we just need to change the way our segments work a bit more, so it needs some planning. But it is doable.
Is this possible yet? If not, is it on the roadmap? We move users between segments when they upgrade and downgrade their accounts on our site, and we really need to be able to send them appropriate autoresponder campaigns based on their membership level.

Is this possible yet? If not, is it on the roadmap? We move users between segments when they upgrade and downgrade their accounts on our site, and we really need to be able to send them appropriate autoresponder campaigns based on their membership level.
It's in our roadmap but I can't say exactly when it will be done.

Back