Anything similar to mailchimp's Tags functionality?

Myspace

Hi,

Im trying to segment a list based on my own tags, e.g. "Customer", "Volunteer", "Supplier" etc. similar to mailchimp and mailerlite - where we can add tag(s) to a subscriber and then send a campaign to a specific tag.

e.g. joe@gmail.com can be tagged "Supplier" and "Volunteer"

Ive tried out segments, custom fields, etc but cant seem to get this functionality to work as needed.

Am I missing something or does this functionality not exist?

EDIT -Whoops! I seem to have posted this under extensions and cant seem to delete or move it

We use custom fields for segmentation, i.e: a custom fields called "Volunteer" with a default value of 0. And you create a segment where Volunteer = 1. You get to assign that 1 either via import or manually, or via campaign actions.

Hi Twisted,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my use case is a little more complicated -

1. The tags are added by our end users - so we have no knowledge or control of the tags that will be used. Hence we cannot create custom fields before hand.

2. I am connecting mailwizz to my our custom CRM via the API. Hence can only use the features exposed by the API.

I suppose I could add a custom multi-select field called "Tags", but then how would I allow the user to send a campaign to subscribers with a specific custom field? e.g. send only to "volunteer"?

Last edited:
suppose I could add a custom multi-select field called "Tags", but then how would I allow the user to send a campaign to subscribers with a specific custom field? e.g. send only to "volunteer"?
Yes, that's a valid approach.

Thanks @twisted1919 Ive done that, but how would we allow the user to send a campaign to subscribers with a specific custom field?
That's where Im stuck at the moment - Is there a way to do this?

Thanks @twisted1919 Ive done that, but how would we allow the user to send a campaign to subscribers with a specific custom field?
That's where Im stuck at the moment - Is there a way to do this?
The only way to do this is to create a segment and then use that segment in your campaign.

Yes - but there is no way to create segments via the API..
Also, since our users create the tags, we cannot create the segments beforehand for them.

Having the ability to segment our list based on tags and send them targeted campaigns is important to our workflow :(

I understand it's because their CRM customers can create any tags in their account that suits their need. So, the segments have to be created AFTER the tags are introduced.
Yes, that is 100% correct!

Why not create the segments beforehand from the web interface?
I may have mentioned this above, but for clarity:

1. WE do not create or decide on the the tag names - our customers do.. so we cannot create segments on their behalf. Also we don't expect them to keep creating segments in MW everytime they create a tag on our CRM...

2. We will not be accessing our customers accounts via the web interface, I was hoping to use the API functionality for everything - including sending campaigns...

What you're proposing is possible, but would require manual work each time our crm tag is updated.

The other option would be to have a list for each tag, which could be maintained by the API, but that also seems like a messy solution...

@Myspace - I think we can add fields and segments creation via API, in their simplest forms given how complex they really are under the hood.
When do you need this, except yesterday? :D
Realistically, it would take us about a week I think.

@Myspace - I think we can add fields and segments creation via API, in their simplest forms given how complex they really are under the hood.
When do you need this, except yesterday? :D
Realistically, it would take us about a week I think.
That would be totally fantastic!
Totally willing to wait for a week or so - no problem! Thank you so much @twisted1919

@Myspace - Thanks, we discussed this today internally and we're expected to start working on this tomorrow. We'll update this thread when done.

Back