About bounce and feedback servers

Dmitriy K

Please help me how to create and correctly customize both of servers. And maybe i have not a real reason to do it? I need control all bad emails and spam button clicks. I use PHPmail as sendind server.

Thank you, but keyword in my message is "correctly" :) In other words, i need to know full operation algo of these servers...

Last edited:
In a single SMTP server case, you should have at least 2 mailboxes - 1 for collecting bounces and the other for collecting spam complaints. Bounce mailbox will be your return path email itself. Abuse address will be something like abuse/postmaster@example.com - where example.com is your sending domain. When you create a delivery server of type SMTP in MW, you will also be creating a bounce server and attaching that to the delivery server. Here, the "Email" you specify on bounce server settings will be your return path, if you keep it empty, return path will default to From address on your emails. Whatever so, your return path will be receiving the bounces back.Because you already added the bounce server along with delivery server, it will process your bounces automatically. For FBL, you have to register this email address with different ISPs to receive abuse emails on it. You have to add/create this mailbox on MW to process the complaints now.

I presume you have a basic understanding of how an email system works, the above instructions should be enough for you then.

Thank you very much! You fill some white spots in my understanding of email works! Now i use same address to bounces, and fbl from email-providers. Is this variant a big mistake, or can be used?

fbl email should be something like abuse@ or postmaster@ - Most of the ISPs out there won't allow you to register with any username other than abuse or postmaster.

fbl email should be something like abuse@ or postmaster@ - Most of the ISPs out there won't allow you to register with any username other than abuse or postmaster.
Yes, they are checked my relation to host administration by sending test email to postmaster@mydomen.ru, but in account they give the opportunity to change it to another email!

Ok, I think your host is collecting complaints and forwarding to one of your emails. In that case it should be fine as long as you set Delete all messages to "No" on bounce/fbl settings.

Hi Guys. I am having an issue that the mailbox I use (mail-in-a-box) filters about 40% of bounces as spam, and its not in the inbox, so MW cannot process them.
what hosting/email providers are you using to host these bounce emailboxes. please help

Hi Guys. I am having an issue that the mailbox I use (mail-in-a-box) filters about 40% of bounces as spam, and its not in the inbox, so MW cannot process them.
what hosting/email providers are you using to host these bounce emailboxes. please help
...it should be on the sending server/domain, otherwise it is easily misinterpreted by filters/admins ;)

Thanks for the advice. I am using a 3rd party vendor for smtp sending.
any other ideas where to host the mailboxes

Thanks for the advice. I am using a 3rd party vendor for smtp sending.
any other ideas where to host the mailboxes
The FBL services will look at the originator / mailer IP (and domain),
so use that for the mailboxes, unless you run an operation that does not want FBL anyway.

Back