Bounce server setup 143: Network is unreachable

Jello

Hello,

I've a problem with setting up a bounce server on a new installation

When i try to create a bounce server i get the message
Connection failed to mail.domain.com,143: Connection timed out<br />Can't connect to mail.domain.com,143: Network is unreachable.

There is no firewall installed on this VPS, i used the same host Contabo before to install mailwizz on exact the same VPS configuration and never had this problem.

No i did
netstat -an | grep :143
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 :::143 :::* LISTEN
and
telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE LITERAL+ STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot (Ubuntu) ready.

It seems that the port 143 is not blocked at least not on this server

Is there something else i can do to get the bounce server working?

Connection failed to mail.domain.com,143: Connection timed out<br />Can't connect to mail.domain.com,143: Network is unreachable.
It seems like there is an issue with establishing a connection to your mail server at "mail.domain.com" on port 143. This error message indicates that the server is either unreachable or not responding to requests on that port.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps that you can follow to resolve this issue:

- Verify that the mail server is up and running: Please ensure that the mail server is running and accessible from your network. You can try pinging the server to confirm if it's reachable from your current location.
- Check the network configuration: Please check for any firewall rules or network restrictions blocking the connection. If you're trying to connect from a remote location, make sure that the necessary ports are open and accessible.
- Verify the server settings: Double-check that the mail server address and port are correct. Also, ensure that you have the correct credentials (username and password) to connect to the server.
- Try a different port: If port 143 is blocked, try using a different port, such as 993 for secure IMAP connections or 110 for standard POP3 connections.
If you continue to experience issues, please feel free to contact your email provider.
We hope that these steps help you resolve the issue. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

I solved it by editing the /etc/host file

<ip adress> mail.domain.com domainname
127.0.1.1 domainname-vps vps-name

Hello,

There is no firewall installed on this VPS, i used the same host Contabo before to install mailwizz on exact the same VPS configuration and never had this problem.

No i did

and

It seems that the port 143 is not blocked at least not on this server

Is there something else i can do to get the bounce server working?
I'm experiencing same issue. Using Ubuntu22.04.
I have debugged via
netstat -an | grep :143 and telnet localhost 143 and i got these results below
root@vmi1628458:~# netstat -an | grep :143
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:143 127.0.0.1:35342 TIME_WAIT

netstat -an | grep :143
Please how did you fix this? Do i just copy and add the values below in my /etc/host file or replace them with my own values? I'd appreciate your assistance on this.
I solved it by editing the /etc/host file

<ip adress> mail.domain.com domainname
127.0.1.1 domainname-vps vps-name
I also use Contabo VPS

Back