[SOLVED] Bounce processing not working, how do I troubleshoot?

bz87

Hi folks!

I hope someone can help me with this.

When i opted in to my list with a dummy fake email, mailwizz still shows it as "Unconfirmed: when it should be "blacklisted" if it's a bounced gmail email if i understand it correctly.

I am receiving the Bounced email notification in my email inbox so yeah the return path is working. The issue is Mailwizz at the moment is not updating the subscriber is as "blacklist"
Under backend Bounce logs, there are no records,

Extra info
my mailwizz is up to date Version 1.9.22
My SMTP works just fine (email are sent out etc)
My sending email is the same as my Bouncer Server.

I tried searching on the forum for a solution but to no avail.

Any suggestion how to troubleshoot, where do i look for more error bounce logs in backend?
and any quick ideas why it's not working?

Thanks as always

EDIT: SO turns out it was working all along is just that the "Subscription confirmation email" that bounce will not be processed. Only emails In campaigns(regular and Autoresponder) will be processed for bounce emails.

Thanks!

Last edited:
When i opted in to my list with a dummy fake email, mailwizz still shows it as "Unconfirmed: when it should be "blacklisted"
MailWizz has no way to know that email is really bad unless it sends a campaign to it and then it bounces.
If it remains unconfirmed, because it never reached an actual working email box, it is removed from the system after a few days, so no harm no foul in this case.

Thanks Twisted!

So what about the subscription confirm email for Double Opt in?

The subscriber based on the double opt in list settings will receive a "Subscribe confirm email" email asking them to first confirm their subscription via a link in the email. Only once they confirm the link, will the status change from "unconfirmed" to"confirmed" subscriber.

When i opted in via a my DO webform using a fake email, I got the bounce email report in my bounce inbox for the "subscribe Confirm Email" but subscriber still shows as Unconfirmed when it should be "blacklisted" since the email bounced.

So the "Subscribe confirm email" that has bounced will not process any bounce email reported to it?

And thanks once again

So what about the subscription confirm email for Double Opt in?
If the email is bad, of course they won't receive the email, but again, we will not blacklist that email, we simply ignore it.

The subscriber based on the double opt in list settings will receive a "Subscribe confirm email" email asking them to first confirm their subscription via a link in the email. Only once they confirm the link, will the status change from "unconfirmed" to"confirmed" subscriber.
That's the expected behavior. That's what we want. If they don't confirm can mean that either the email address is bad or they simply changed their mind.

So the "Subscribe confirm email" that has bounced will not process any bounce email reported to it?
We don't process these, we don't process any bounces in any area except campaigns.

If that's a concern, you can just use an extension that check the emails of people when they join your list, see
https://store.onetwist.com/index.php?product[]=mailwizz&tag[]=email validation
And set it so that it checks emails upon subscription.

Back