Stress Testing Before MailWizz Go Live

eggerda

Hello! I just wanted to get some help figuring out the best way to "stress test" my new installation of MailWizz and the Amazon LightSail server it is hosted on before formally going live.

The goal is to make sure it can handle our email load before going live - at which point it would be an awful task to try to "reverse things" and go back to our old IEM platform.

Here's what is expected of MailWizz:

1) We have 60 different lists.

2) Each list has an average of 5 autoresponder campaigns with list movement "triggers" that happen on email sends and clicks.

3) Our total number of subscribers are 800K at this time - but this will grow beyond 1 Million and beyond.

4) We get an average of 1500 new subscribers per day that immediately start going through the "maze" of autoresponders - which are sent daily. And they will move from list to list based on what autoresponders are sent and what autoresponder links are clicked.

5) We do general list broadcasts to most of the 800K subscribers 3-4 times per week.

6) We use a combination of PMTA, Elastic Email, and SES MTA's for sending emails.

------------

I just want to make sure this platform can handle this load. (I've optimized mailwizz completely based on the optimization guide for high volume senders.)

My thought was to import the list of 800K into ONE list in MailWizz - PAUSE all MTA's EXCEPT for the PMTA.

Then I would PAUSE PMTA sending inside PMTA. (It would still be able to receive the emails to be sent from MailWizz, but it won't actually send them).

And then do a FULL test email campaign to ALL 800K subscribers and monitor performance.

Would that be enough?

Remember: the real world scenario will be doing these broadcasts, and will have new leads coming in, AND will be sending Autoresponders and doing list movement triggers.

Any thoughts here?

Thank you so much for any help!

Dan

@twisted1919 @twisted1920

@eggerda - sorry for the late response.
My thought was to import the list of 800K into ONE list in MailWizz - PAUSE all MTA's EXCEPT for the PMTA.

Then I would PAUSE PMTA sending inside PMTA. (It would still be able to receive the emails to be sent from MailWizz, but it won't actually send them).

And then do a FULL test email campaign to ALL 800K subscribers and monitor performance.

Would that be enough?
This will test the sending speed, it's fine, do it.
You will also need to stress test your web server for when those 800k start open and click your emails, that's the tricky part which will be very difficult to test.

Maybe moving a few lists first and see how it goes makes more sense? Then if all okay, or after all okay, move the rest?

Thanks @twisted1919 - without knowing exactly how MailWiz has been developed and where potential bottle necks could be... here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to import several thousand records onto the lists, so that they all get autoresponders SENT to them - which will trigger a list MOVE at the same time that the 800K broadcast is going.

It's seems as though the opening/clicking wouldn't effect the server load a ton as it all doesn't happen at once...but it would be the triggers that do list moves for 1000 records at the same time, for example...while a broadcast is being sent.

I've got the migration designed so that I can go live list-by-list to mailwiz. It would be bad if I moved over and found out the server and mailwiz just can't handle this volume. :)

Thank you!

Dan

Back