Sorry dummy question: How to use postfix?

rritz

Hi I am using CentOS VPS and I ahve set up postfix and tested if it is running, sending email from commandline
But how do I now connect mw to pstfix?

Add smtp as delivery server?

Where do I find the hostname, username, password?
How to set up bounce server?

Sorry if this is very basic but can't seem to find answers.

Hi I am using CentOS VPS and I ahve set up postfix and tested if it is running, sending email from commandline

Once you create a mailbox you will have your username and password.
It might be useful to read a bit on the CentOS and PostFix websites.
In any case, it is easier to use a third party smtp delivery server than your own, as you will have to do all postmastery yourself (except if you outsource it).

I agree with frm.mwz you should/MUST use third party SMTP over anything else. Not only that, I congratulate you that you have been able to install postfix on your server (wasn't that already installed with your CentOS server?), but unless you are an SMTP server configuration and manager expert I do NOT recommend you attempt to use it as you are opening yourself to some very nightmarish situations...

Thxs but I have been using my own smtp for quite a long time now using powerMTA. But I don't like it.
Yes postfix is installed but not configured so maybe I used the wrong words sorry.

have been using my own smtp for quite a long time now using powerMTA. But I don't like it.
What's wrong with it?

postfix is installed but not configured
Have you read a bit on the postfix site? There are also postfix admin tools at github, just search a bit and check them out ;)

I was not aware it's forbidden to ask beginner questions in here.
What makes you think that? After all, you got actually useful answers!

What's wrong with it?
I get throttling and I don't understand how, why and where to control or configure, I get bounces because of x-powermta all resources disabled,
and I don't want to learn powerMTA. I'd rather learn postfix

Have you read a bit on the postfix site? There are also postfix admin tools at github, just search a bit and check them out ;)
yes I have been reading a lot on postfix site and a lot of tutorials too but as I said I didn't find the last step. Basically tutorials stop when you have tested postfix from command line. What I cannot figure out is how to connect it to mailwizz. So I thought someone might give me a pointer on that. Sure there are people here who use postfix.

But I will take your hint and read again, maybe I missed something there

What makes you think that? After all, you got actually useful answers!
Well if I search for help how to connect postfix and mw then "you should/MUST use third party SMTP" is not a helpful answer, I think ..
I have tried 3rd party and they have either closed me down before I could send 1st email or they give me rotten deliverability,

like mailgun that cannot inbox aol at all just as an example. If I send an email and then have like 5000 bounces and aol-addresses all blacklisted because of that, it just means a lot of work un-blacklisting them again cause these are openers and I was sending them from my own smtp for month without problem.

Thus only saying, 3rd party smtp may not be the holy grail of email sending.

Hi rritz
after 2 years, I am asking the same question, what was the solution, could you help with that please

Back