Incrementing a custom field on open plus segmenting/sending questions...

Pat Friedl

Hey all. Ok, so I want to make sure I maintain a clean list, so I've added some custom fields to my list that can be used specifically for setting when a user opens an email or clicks a link. This way I can send only to segments that are active on the list.

Question #1: is it possible to increment the value of a custom field instead of just setting a value? For instance, when a user opens an email, I'd like to increment the value of the Opened field instead of just setting it to 1.

Question #2: As you build your list, do you send to only people who've opened an email in the past? I want to make sure I don't get too many bounces/complaints, so I assume sending only to people who've been active (opened or clicked a link) is a good way to keep list hygiene high.

Question #3: How many custom fields do you guys use to track opens and clicks?

Question #1: is it possible to increment the value of a custom field instead of just setting a value? For instance, when a user opens an email, I'd like to increment the value of the Opened field instead of just setting it to 1.
Not that I know of within mwz, but you could do it via phpMyAdmin, which has triggers (e.g. for open, click, etc) and routines (e.g. to run for incrementing, etc).

Question #2: As you build your list, do you send to only people who've opened an email in the past? I want to make sure I don't get too many bounces/complaints, so I assume sending only to people who've been active (opened or clicked a link) is a good way to keep list hygiene high.
This might be a good strategy for single opt-in, but for double opt-in you can email the whole DOI list (with suitable material) as you have their opt-in consent on file.

Question #3: How many custom fields do you guys use to track opens and clicks?
None, as mwz has the features to take action re opens/clicks from former campaigns.

I will add this feature and let you know how to use it.

Is there a documentation anywhere explaining how to use this increment field exactly? What's the value that's being incremented by 100 (as per your example)? etc.

Back