Should I send using my VPS rather than Sendgrid or Amazon

Eric535

Hi,

I have a client of mine which I setup MW on a vps for them. They have about 40,000 emails which they send out twice a week to. Now me myself I have a little bit more than that and I been using mandrill for a while and now im experimenting with sendgrid and about to try amazon. Is it just better to just to it from my vps rather than a third party SMTP?

Hi,

I have a client of mine which I setup MW on a vps for them. They have about 40,000 emails which they send out twice a week to. Now me myself I have a little bit more than that and I been using mandrill for a while and now im experimenting with sendgrid and about to try amazon. Is it just better to just to it from my vps rather than a third party SMTP?
It is generally advisable to go with stable streams instead of (more or less) sporadic ones.
In case of any (unfounded) complaints (you need proof for both opt-in points which we don't have yet so far), you are also much safer if you go with a third party sender than your own (and moving always costs some time/money/etc).

It is generally advisable to go with stable streams instead of (more or less) sporadic ones.
In case of any (unfounded) complaints (you need proof for both opt-in points which we don't have yet so far), you are also much safer if you go with a third party sender than your own (and moving always costs some time/money/etc).

Im confused at this reply.

Why would my vps not be stable?
The comment re 'stable' was re the mail streams, not your vps (as you wrote: 'about 40,000 emails which they send out twice a week', which is more like on/off).

Which complaints do you speak about that "we" dont have yet?
That was re 'if anyone ever complains about spam/not having signed-up/etc'.
The 'we' was re mwz not having yet the second data set (the confirmation IP and confirmation time).

In effect, with a third party delivery server, you are using their (IP) reputation (from steady overall good/confirmed email streams), and as long as the bounces and complaints are within accepted limits, you are usually fine. Some hosts are very strict and boot you even if the normally accepted limits are maintained.

Hope this helps ;)

The comment re 'stable' was re the mail streams, not your vps (as you wrote: 'about 40,000 emails which they send out twice a week', which is more like on/off).

That was re 'if anyone ever complains about spam/not having signed-up/etc'.
The 'we' was re mwz not having yet the second data set (the confirmation IP and confirmation time).

In effect, with a third party delivery server, you are using their (IP) reputation (from steady overall good/confirmed email streams), and as long as the bounces and complaints are within accepted limits, you are usually fine. Some hosts are very strict and boot you even if the normally accepted limits are maintained.

Hope this helps ;)

Gotcha ;)

I openeed an sendgrid account a few weeks ago. Only been sending about 2500 emails at a time. But they dont send them all off at one time because from what they told me I was a new account and that would be lifted soon. I havent sent my 60k list yet because im sure that would take days if the 2500 I sent took a day lol. What I did like about mandrill was that they told you how many emails you can send per hour and if you sent more than you were supposed to it would tell you that it was backlogged. Sendgrid doesnt have any of that from what I see.

I already setup amazon ses on my MW so I think i might just eventually go that route.

Gotcha ;)

I openeed an sendgrid account a few weeks ago. Only been sending about 2500 emails at a time. But they dont send them all off at one time because from what they told me I was a new account and that would be lifted soon. I havent sent my 60k list yet because im sure that would take days if the 2500 I sent took a day lol. What I did like about mandrill was that they told you how many emails you can send per hour and if you sent more than you were supposed to it would tell you that it was backlogged. Sendgrid doesnt have any of that from what I see.

I already setup amazon ses on my MW so I think i might just eventually go that route.
Sounds very reasonable to me. Each of them have their own ramp-up schedules (oft listed in the help section) and if you need it faster you can request it and then send to a test list of your own email addresses (and aliases, ie eric535+...@domain.com) which will all inbox and hence they will have no trouble upgrading you.
The whole backlog thing happens always with all providers once you start to send at 'supersonic' speeds, since their delivery directives/policies are adjusted to respect the destination inbox limits (so this is actually very good for you, and would be so much harder to maintain with all nuance on one's own server(s)).
Happy mailing!
;)

gotcha. So your saying I can make a catch all domain with a whole bunch of accounts and send emails to them? Dont you think they will catch on to that?

gotcha. So your saying I can make a catch all domain with a whole bunch of accounts and send emails to them? Dont you think they will catch on to that?
Even if, it is all clean email. The point is that you can test at your heart's content, and meanwhile create a bit of a good rep, which may come in handy eventually.

Back