Returnpath and verified domains

VVT

Hi @twisted1919 ,

I noticed that returnpath domain/address is unchanged even when a verified domain is used as sending domain. Guess this was not the case with initial versions (?).

Actually the returnpath email should be changed to the from email if a verified domain email is used as the from email. If we're keeping it unchanged is to collect bounces to the bounce/returnpath email box, there should at least be an option to set something like "set return path as from email if verified sending domain" in the backend on the DS settings. Otherwise the concept of SPF is meaningless - Most ISPs look at returnpath email and do the SPF checks, except some Microsoft controlled services like hotmail that looks at From Email for SPF validation.

Last edited:
@VVT - There's no connection between the sending domains and the return path. The return path is set to either the from address or the email address used in the bounce server if any associated with the given delivery server.

"The return path is set to either the from address" -> If this is true in some case, we're all good.

I removed Email from Bounce server settings and now all the outgoing emails have bounceuser@mailwizz_hosted_domain as return path. Looks like it's malfunctioning ? Can it be fixed/modified to have the From address as Returnpath if no email is specified in the bounce server settings like you said above ? I use Swift mailer.

"The return path is set to either the from address" -> If this is true in some case, we're all good.

I removed Email from Bounce server settings and now all the outgoing emails have bounceuser@mailwizz_hosted_domain as return path. Looks like it's malfunctioning ? Can it be fixed/modified to have the From address as Returnpath if no email is specified in the bounce server settings like you said above ? I use Swift mailer.

this above may be good to be included in the standard tests before any release
(i assume you have a number of those for the most important features)

Where's this email address used ?
Actually not used anywhere in the system, ok, let me explain a bit.

I've had an Email address (Say bounce@bounceserver.com) specified in the settings of a BS associated with one of my DSs. So, when I send any emails via that DS, retrun-path will be that email itself - bounce@bounceserver.com - this is expected ! (pic1)

From your comment above, I realized that the campaign From address will be used as return-path address if none is specified as an email in the BS settings (correct ?). So, I just removed the email from BS to have a null value (pic2). Now for that bounce server -

Username : bounceuser
Email : <blank>

And

Mailwizz is hosted at : https://app.example.com

Then I sent a few test campaigns with From Email as : from@abc.com. I expected that the "return-path" would be "from@abc.com" from that point onwards, but actually it turned out to be : "bounceuser@app.example.com", ie, the syntax is - Return-path = <Username of BS>@<Mailwizz hosted domain>.

In such case, Return-path should be the from email specified in the campaigns, correct ?

Actually not used anywhere in the system, ok, let me explain a bit.

I've had an Email address (Say bounce@bounceserver.com) specified in the settings of a BS associated with one of my DSs. So, when I send any emails via that DS, retrun-path will be that email itself - bounce@bounceserver.com - this is expected ! (pic1)

From your comment above, I realized that the campaign From address will be used as return-path address if none is specified as an email in the BS settings (correct ?). So, I just removed the email from BS to have a null value (pic2). Now for that bounce server -

Username : bounceuser
Email : <blank>

And

Mailwizz is hosted at : https://app.example.com

Then I sent a few test campaigns with From Email as : from@abc.com. I expected that the "return-path" would be "from@abc.com" from that point onwards, but actually it turned out to be : "bounceuser@app.example.com", ie, the syntax is - Return-path = <Username of BS>@<Mailwizz hosted domain>.

In such case, Return-path should be the from email specified in the campaigns, correct ?

agreed
and
on a funnier note it confirms my conservative approach to oft use the email address also as user name
user@domain.com <user@domain.com>

;)

Reactions: VVT
From your comment above, I realized that the campaign From address will be used as return-path address if none is specified as an email in the BS settings (correct ?). So, I just removed the email from BS to have a null value (pic2). Now for that bounce server
Can you try to de-associate the Bounce Server from that delivery server and see what's happening then?

Can you try to de-associate the Bounce Server from that delivery server and see what's happening then?
Tried that, but similar results with a small change in username - returnpath is in the format <username of From Email specified in the DS>@<MW_hosted_domain>

Can you please take a look ?

@twisted1919 it works well for PHPMailer. Can you please make it work for Swift as well. Now SPF is broken on all emails to microsoft controlled domains for this reason.

@VVT - Unzip attached and put the folder in apps/common/components to override the existing mailer folder(back it up first), then give it a try and see if it behaves better.

Attachments

• mailer.zip
    12 KB · Views: 12
@twisted1919 I replaced the mailer folder with the above one and emptied the Email field on Bounce server. But sending didn't succeed, was getting the below error for all the subscribers and then finally gave up. I cleared cache as well, but didn't help !

--

[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - cb3487y8347fj3u4jfu4jf834yg@gmail.com - 5/5
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Checking if we can send to domain of cb3487y8347fj3u4jfu4jf834yg@gmail.com...
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Checking if cb3487y8347fj3u4jfu4jf834yg@gmail.com is blacklisted...
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Checking if the server is over quota...
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Checking if the customer is over quota...
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Preparing the entire email...
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Using delivery server: dedi002-redacted.info (ID: 5).
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Sending the email message using the DIRECT method.
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Sending failed with: Invalid ID given <4e733a47218a6925b3b9eb1a8b5268a3@>
[2016-07-29 23:27:46] - Done for cb3487y8347fj3u4jfu4jf834yg@gmail.com, logging delivery...

@twisted1919 tried this one. The anomaly has been fixed, but our goal hasn't been achieved yet. Now the return-path is same as the email id that we specified as "From Email"on the delivery server settings - tried removing the email from BS settings and disassociated the BS server from DS as well.

What we need is -

1. When there's a verified sending domain and that's used in the From Email in a campaign, and if there's no Email Address specified on the BS, then return path should be "campaign From Email".
2. If there's a BS Email Address specified, this can be the RP even if we have a verified domain used in the "campaign from email".
3. When there's no verified sending domain and BS email, then the RP should be "DS From Email".

So, we have all the conditions covered.

@VVT - I modified the apps/common/models/DeliveryServer.php file,can you replace yours with attached and see if that does what you are after?

Attachments

• DeliveryServer.php.zip
    14.2 KB · Views: 18
I unzipped that file in to the above location, now getting this error - Property "DeliveryServerSmtp.force_sender" is not defined.

Back