Tracking Domains Help

Hey everyone,

One thing I'm not clear on is tracking domains. It seems simple enough, but not so.

This is from the KB article: If it’s not showing same page, then you don’t use a dedicated ip address for a.com domain and you should.

When you mention dedicated IP, we are talking about the hosting provider? For example, my website/DNS is on a shared VPS service. But my Linux server which I installed Mailwizz on is a VPS with a dedicated IP. I confirmed with them. However, when I enter this IP into a browser, I receive a 404 error. And of course the CNAME fails.

What do I need to make this work? A dedicated website hosting provider?

If you can't use cnames, you can try adding them as domain aliases, that will work as well.
We recommend cnames because you only add a DNS record. When using domain aliases, beside the dns record, you also need to add the alias on your server, using cpanel/plesk/etc.

If you can't use cnames, you can try adding them as domain aliases, that will work as well.
We recommend cnames because you only add a DNS record. When using domain aliases, beside the dns record, you also need to add the alias on your server, using cpanel/plesk/etc.

Thanks for the reply. I just tried adding an alias, but it appears I cannot have any "parked domains". If I move my domain to a VPS with a dedicated IP would that work instead? Please see above question. Thanks again!

If I move my domain to a VPS with a dedicated IP would that work instead?
Give MailWizz is hosted there and you don't use any control panel that could handle the IP address of the VPS as the default website of the server, then yes.

I just tried adding an alias, but it appears I cannot have any "parked domains".
Why not talk to your hosting support and ask them how to go about this, I know most hosting companies allow this just fine.

Give MailWizz is hosted there and you don't use any control panel that could handle the IP address of the VPS as the default website of the server, then yes.

Why not talk to your hosting support and ask them how to go about this, I know most hosting companies allow this just fine.

Spoke with them. Then I was able to setup the aliases as needed. Seems to be working perfectly now. Thank you for the help!

@twisted1919

Running into a strange issue with this. I'm noticing that after a certain amount of time...maybe a day or so, haven't narrowed that done yet, but the links will no longer work and it's back to the 404 error. However, to 'fix' it, I deleted the domain alias from my server's panel, re-added it and things seems to be working again. Hopefully this makes sense.

Can you only setup 1 alias? I was trying for multiple. Appears if I add 1 alias, it works fine, but creating a second will break the first, but the second will work.

Have you heard of this before? Any suggestions? Either way appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back