Some questions about confirmation emails and transactional emails

rritz

Hi, I have a few questions

First about transactional emails: I understand they are sent out using a random DS
Is there anything inside the header for ESPs to know that these are transactional emails and not campaign emails?
Like in the header the precedence says bulk for campaigns. Does it say something else for transactional emails?
Are there any bounce logs for transactional emails? Are the bounces mixed in with the campaigns bounce logs?

And the confirmation emails for double opt-in: Are these treated like transactional emails? Are there any bounce logs for them?

I ask because I have been trying to set up double opt-in lists for a while, and I simply cannot get the confirmation emails delivered to my own seed accounts. The mails are neither in inbox nor in spam, nor in any of the gmail tabs.
I cannot even get them delivered to myemail@mydomain.com where I don't use any spam filters at all. Maybe they are not sent at all?
Anywhere I can check for that?
Or if I could find the bounce logs, maybe I'd know what's happening. But I can't find these either.

When I look into backend --> transactional emails there is nothing inside.

First about transactional emails: I understand they are sent out using a random DS
Not always. Keep in mind that mailwizz sends using delivery servers that have the "Use FOR" setting to All and/or Transactional Emails.
Screenshot 2017-10-17 09.52.00.png
Is there anything inside the header for ESPs to know that these are transactional emails and not campaign emails?
Campaign Emails have the Subscriber-Uid and Campaign-Uid headers. These emails don't have them.

Are there any bounce logs for transactional emails? Are the bounces mixed in with the campaigns bounce logs?
Nope, we don't process bounces for bounce emails nor we keep stats for them.

And the confirmation emails for double opt-in: Are these treated like transactional emails? Are there any bounce logs for them?
No, they aren't sent as transactional emails via mailwizz's transactional emails feature. They're sent immediatly when the user subscribers.

I ask because I have been trying to set up double opt-in lists for a while, and I simply cannot get the confirmation emails delivered to my own seed accounts. The mails are neither in inbox nor in spam, nor in any of the gmail tabs.
You should check the delivery server, the answer is there.
It might also help having a delivery server dedicated to List Emails (the Use FOR setting).

When I look into backend --> transactional emails there is nothing inside.
Yes, because those emails are not sent via transactional emails feature. They're simply sent at the time of subscription.

@twisted1919 it might be good to have an [ i ] in the DS setup and in the KB explaining what emails fall into which category (some of them are clear, others maybe less so).

Hi @twisted1919 thank you for the answers.

I don't see how the delivery server can be a problem. I send campaigns, I send test emails. They get there alright.
I opt in to my list, but the confirmation email never gets delivered. What can I do to find out what's going wrong?
How can I find out if these emails even get sent?

Why are confirmation emails not sent as transactional? These ARE transactional emails in my understanding.

How can I find out if these emails even get sent?
Open a support ticket with backend url and login and ftp login so that i look into this.

Why are confirmation emails not sent as transactional? These ARE transactional emails in my understanding.
Because transactional emails means they're pushed in a queue and can take hours till the email is delivered, not something you want when someone want to get a notification right away.

Hi guys,
I would like to ask some things to understand better.
At the settings of "Delivery server use for" there are some options. Can you please explain me differences between them?
  • Transactional emails
  • List emails

Also, I have a second question/recommendation.
I have list and subscribers register to this list and they receive an email of confirmation as it supposed to be.
But sometimes when we offer them a reason (a carrot) to subscribe, some might register with a fake email or just mark as spam to the received email.
So it this case I feel using recaptcha is good for preventing any attack on subscribe form to protect bounce mail increase. What do you think? Any other tips to protect reputation of delivery server? BTW, I use amazon ses.
Second, is it good to use different delivery server for confirmation emails and use different for delivery server for Campings? What do you recommend depending on best practises please?

Thanks in advance.

Transactional emails
There are some places where mailwizz can queue messages for later sending. One of them is when somebody registers or when a password request is made. By default mailwizz queues these emails and sends them later, using transactional emails.
Mailwizz also has an API endpoint that you can use to send transactional emails.
List emails
These are emails sent related to lists. For example the confirmation emails for a subscriber, or notifications to list owner when somebody subscribes to a list, etc.
So it this case I feel using recaptcha is good for preventing any attack on subscribe form to protect bounce mail increase. What do you think? Any other tips to protect reputation of delivery server? BTW, I use amazon ses.
You can enable the recaptcha extension and configure it for this purpose. See Backend > Extend > Extensions.
Second, is it good to use different delivery server for confirmation emails and use different for delivery server for Campings?
That's totally acceptable.

Thank you @twisted1919 for your fast reply!
So "Transactional emails" covers much general email sending including lists where as "list email" only covers emails about lists.
So if I do a setting for 2 different delivery servers.
1 Amazon SES > camping
2 Another delivery service > list email
Now there a question appears.. With this setting how will "Transactional emails" be handled ?
It supposed to cause logical error?

Thanks

Back