How to send a series of newsletters (autoresponder)?

Gary Orman

Hello, please can you help. I can't figure out from the documentation how to do this:

I'd like to send out a series of emails, e.g. every day or every other day, to members who subscribed to a newsletter service.

I already have, say, 20 emails prepared in advance.

So when a member subscribes to the newsletter autoresponder campaign, he gets the first newsletter immediately upon signup.
Then he gets newsletter 2 on day 2.
Newsletter 3 on day 3.
Newsletter 4 on day 4.
etc.

How do I do this?

In my case, I would like to change the schedule slightly, but I think this can be done easily by stating the number of hours since sign up for the individual newsletters.
I'd like newsletter 1 to go out immediately.
Newsletter 2 on day 3.
Newsletter 3 on day 5.
Newsletter 4 on day 7.
I.E. every other day.

Or I might just want the newsletter to go out weekly.

In which case, how could I choose a specific day of the week?
The first newsletter goes out immediately.
And then each subsequent newsletter to go out on Monday at 10am, say.
Newsletter 2 the next Monday (week 2)
Newsletter 3 the next Monday (week 3).
Newsletter 4 the next Monday (week 4).
Etc.

All I can see now is that only ONE email gets sent out in an autoresponder campaign, when a member first subscribes to the list. Where do I create all the other emails that I want to send subsequently?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I'd like to send out a series of emails, e.g. every day or every other day, to members who subscribed to a newsletter service.
You can do that, for example:
1. The first newsletter goes out immediately - In Campaign confirmation: Autoresponder event > AFTER-SUBSCRIBE , Incl. imported subscribers > Yes(if you want to send campaign and for imported subscribers) , Incl. current subscribers > Yes (to send campaign to current subscribers from list)
Screenshot 2020-09-30 090321.png
2. Then he gets newsletter 2 on day 2 - In Campaign confirmation: Autoresponder event >AFTER-CAMPAING-SENT, Autoresponder time value > 2, Autoresponder time unit > Day, Send after sending this campaign > Select your first campaign
Screenshot 2020-09-30 091001.png
3. Newsletter 3 on day 5 - The same setup like on step 2 but you need to change Autoresponder time value to 5.
Screenshot 2020-09-30 091203.png

Thank you. I already figured out the first bit - about triggering the campaign immediately after subscription. Now I understand also about the "after-campaign-sent" option. I didn't know that before.

But I also don't know how to send out multiple newsletters for the same autoresponder campaign.

Could you please explain how to add the other newsletters to the campaign, after the first one.

But I also don't know how to send out multiple newsletters for the same autoresponder campaign.

Could you please explain how to add the other newsletters to the campaign, after the first one.
If you want to send multiple campaigns you can use recurring on Campaign confirmation > Advanced recurring and from there you can select when you need to send campaign, keep in mind if you use this action the campaign will be sent for an unlimited period of time but you can use Max. runs to set how many times to send the campaign.
Also check this article: https://kb.mailwizz.com/articles/recurring-campaigns/

Thanks, it took me a while to figure it out because it's not clear in the explanations at all.
I'm not sure about the Advanced recurring option either because that seems to be the same newsletter each time, right?

I worked it out in the end. There are a lot of little details that should be mentioned. Here's what I've learnt so far in case anyone else wants to do the same thing:

1. In Autoresponder Campaigns, you need to create a SEPARATE campaign for EACH newsletter.

2. You may need a separate member list, one for each series of newsletters - and either ask your members to subscribe to specific newsletters / lists or import them manually. Or you could create various different segments for your existing members, one for each set of newsletters.

You will probably have hundreds (!) of campaigns, one for each newsletter, and each group linked to an individual member list or segment.

Don't forget to select type=Autoresponder.

2. Don't forget to name each email template separately. I think if you keep the same name as before then you might overwrite the newsletters that you wrote previously.

3. In the Confirmation page, make the first newsletter send immediately after subscription (you might want to include imported members also).

Make sure to set "Incl. current subscribers" to YES.

4. All the other newsletters / campaigns should have different sending delays (Autoresponder time-value). You can select to send each newsletter a certain time after the member was first subscribed to the list (e.g. 2nd newsletter after 1 day, 3rd newsletter after 2 days, 4th newsletter after 5 days, after 7 days, etc.) but that might mean existing subscribers get a whole mass of emails at the same time.

Better to send each newsletter at a certain interval after the previous newsletter campaign in the series was sent, so every 1 day or every 7 days. I send my newsletters 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) so that's a bit tricky. But because I manually import each member every Monday after they subscribe to my main list, I can control this:

First letter to go immediately on subscribe (0 days) - Mon.
Second letter 2 days after first letter sent - Wed.
Third letter 2 days after second letter sent - Fri
4th letter 3 days after third letter sent - Mon again.
etc.

5. Important. There are two extra steps you must check.

- Firstly, in the backend go to Settings-CRON and make sure "Adjust campaigns at once" is set to YES. Otherwise your campaigns tend to be in a state of waiting-to-send indefinitely.

- Secondly, go to Settings-Customer and set the default timezone for the registered customer. This will mean that the "send after a certain time" value is correct for your local timezone. You might want to make sure that the newsletter is sent at around 10am or just after lunch, say - because most people won't read newsletters as soon as they start their work day.

Back