How to Keep Lists Clean

Alex Read

I know this has been discussed before and I think some features have been implemented.

How do you guys keep your lists clean?

1) Remove Un-Interested People
- Received 10 but opened < 1, remove. (the issue is we can't track opens because they get counted so many times!) OR
- Soft Bounces > 5

How do you apply that to all lists?

2) How are you verifying emails?

3) Do you reverify emails after X-period?

I'd love some help here. Really struggling with this and the sender rep that follows!

I second this. I'm having a tough time with this. I've just tried to add the open tags but there's no way to remove opencount<3 or something like this

Hi, you could do with more options in campaign setup .
- Create a custom field
- Increment this field by X value every time a subscriber open you campaign .
- Create a segment filtered by custom field with value > X

Unopener subscribers --> you could remove them with "move inactive users" console.php command but, I suggest, to send a periodic reminder and maybe you get new active users ;) .

For Soft Bounce, you could adjust by backend settings ( cron ) and decrease the number of soft bounce .

Schermata 2022-01-27 alle 20.39.54.png

I highly recommend dropping open rates as a subscriber-level engagement indicator. Not just the Google proxy servers (which load the tracking pixel from a central location), but also Apple's new MPP (released in September 2021, which already has a 97% uptake in people opting out of mail tracking), have artificially inflated open rates and stop us from associating opens to individual users reliably enough to use this insight for list hygiene.

Click-throughs are much more reliable and a better indicator for engagement. If your campaigns or message types are not lending themselves to utilise click/tap-throughs, then it's worth re-thinking the overall messaging strategy to accommodate this.

Opens are merely a finger-in-the-air for the overall list performance.

As far as we're concerned, we're attributing the [increment_by_X] selector to clicks on the campaign template level.
This reminds me that we've submitted a feature request to make this particular process more user friendly and - ideally - automatic in a future release of MW.

Back