Do Any Of These Mass Email Providers Have Issues?

Alex Read

Hi

I want to send some cold emails and would like some feedback on these senders.
· Amazon SES
· ElasticEmail.com
· Tipimail.com
· Mailgun.com
· Pepipost.com

Anybody used them for cold email campaigns? Any tips or issues I should know about before I hit send?
Would love some expert opinions on this!~

Many Thanks
Alex

HI there Alex,

Should be important to first you define 'issues' and 'cold email campaigns'.

Indeed, I've reasons to believe there are many things you should know before you "hit send".

Regards,
Andy

Hi Andy

I agree. I need to be more clear!
1) Are any of the above more lenient on cold email? Or do many outright just close the account if they find you cold emailing.
2) If I create a sending domain email@website.com. Should I use the same sending account on various providers or should I create a unique sending domain per provider? (e.g. email@website1.com for ElasticEmail, and email@website2.com for pepipost)
3) Which of the above providers would you recommend to use for cold email?

Those are the main questions I've got. Does that clarify it a little?

As I said above, define 'cold email campaigns' as in where does the list comes from?

NONE of the mentioned provider will allow you to send SPAM!

I don't of what is your 'project' and what you believe you can do or not, but you're heading into a lot of trouble without proper knowledge to do so. For example, what you believe to be 'cold mailings' as in 'using scraped lists' in reality is called pure SPAM in my industry. And, on the other hand, cold emailing is certainly NOT sending mass Unsolicited Commercial Emails to "scraped lists".

Good luck!

Andy

This is UNACCEPTABLE behaviour online! It's never been and never will and here is certainly NOT the place to discuss SPAM and MW is NOT meant to that. SPAM is shitty and cost us all MILLIONS in resources and bandwidth and TIME and name it.

Yes, but very few understand 'inbound'...but 'attraction' (as in great offer, cool signup bonus, awesome club, etc) is a lot more clear ;)
It may be clearer for you, and it could be to some extent, though inbound is not a mystery hard to understand word at all, it means what it means and the WHOLE industry calls it INBOUND MARKETING there even exists CERTIFICATION for that... so 'attraction marketing' is not the right term but a definition of Inbound Marketing. That is why, as I said, it is CALLED Inbound Marketing.

It's a list and cleaned & triple verified.

So I assume from this response that we're talking about some sort of appended or purchased file? If so, @Andy is right -- you're potentially in for some headaches.

"Triple verified" meaning what? That the email addresses themselves won't bounce? Does not matter. Have they signed up with you to receive email? If they have NOT, you can still use those addresses to specifically target those users through any number of ad networks (e.g., Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).

Within the U.S. (per CAN-SPAM), it is technically legal to send a SINGLE unsolicited offer to an email address. (But like a lot of things, just because it's technically 'legal' doesn't mean it's not a bad idea.) The email message must be clearly labeled as an 'ADVERTISEMENT', should include sender address, and must contain an easy, unobstructed opt-out mechanism. That initial offer must be a no-joke, high-value proposition, and should be an invitation to join, not a notification that they've been added to your list. **BUT REMEMBER** if it looks like spam and talks like spam, it's spam. Users WILL complain. You should be prepared for the total obliteration of the sending reputation of the domains and/or IPs responsible for that message (and don't expect more than low-single-digit conversion rates -- at best).

Consider, though, a different scenario: A customer came to me and wanted to START an email newsletter. At first, he assumed we were starting from scratch as he "didn't have any" email addresses. As we discovered, though, he had a LOT of commenters on his website, and a published privacy policy that said we email commenters.

Starting from that list of commenters, we were able to 1) validate/verify addresses through a few scrubbing services to preemptively weed out invalids; 2) APPEND OPENERS using data vendors who can tell you who on a file is actually ACTIVELY opening emails (incl. a last open date). 3) We then started LOW and SLOOOOW, reaching out to users with an RSS-based email newsletter that sends automatically 3x weekly. Using the appended opener data, we started with very recent openers, and are SLOWLY introducing the rest of the file over time. As users OPEN and/or CLICK, they are shuttled into a new list that uses our 'better' delivery servers. (Ideally, engaged users are mailed from an entirely different ESP/IPs.)

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to be totally honest and open with your subscribers. In our case, we led with our face and (very prominently) said something like "THANK YOU for your continued support of Acme Publishing. You're receiving this email as a commenter on our website (as per our privacy policy). If you would prefer NOT to receive these emails, CLICK HERE to immediately unsubscribe." (Once the user CLICKS on CONTENT, change up their delivery servers. If they do NOT click after X messages, drop frequency. If they don't respond after X+Y, bite the bullet and purge them from your file -- but keep targeting them on Facebook, etc.)

If I can help, feel free to message me.

Last edited:
So I assume from this response that we're talking about some sort of appended or purchased file? If so, @Andy is right -- you're potentially in for some headaches.

"Triple verified" meaning what? That the email addresses themselves won't bounce? Does not matter. Have they signed up with you to receive email? If they have NOT, you can still use those addresses to specifically target those users through any number of ad networks (e.g., Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).

Within the U.S. (per CAN-SPAM), it is technically legal to send a SINGLE unsolicited offer to an email address. The email message must be clearly labeled as an 'ADVERTISEMENT', should include sender address, and must contain an easy, unobstructed opt-out mechanism. That initial offer must be a no-joke, high-value proposition, and should be an invitation to join, not a notification that they've been added to your list. **BUT REMEMBER** if it looks like spam and talks like spam, it's spam. Users WILL complain. You should be prepared for the total obliteration of the sending reputation of the domains and/or IPs responsible for that message (and don't expect more than low-single-digit conversion rates -- at best).

Consider, though, a different scenario: A customer came to me and wanted to START an email newsletter. At first, he assumed we were starting from scratch as he "didn't have any" email addresses. As we discovered, though, he had a LOT of commenters on his website, and a published privacy policy that said we email commenters.

Starting from that list of commenters, we were able to 1) validate/verify addresses through a few scrubbing services to preemptively weed out invalids; 2) APPEND OPENERS using data vendors who can tell you who on a file is actually ACTIVELY opening emails (incl. a last open date). 3) We then started LOW and SLOOOOW, reaching out to users with an RSS-based email newsletter that sends automatically 3x weekly. Using the appended opener data, we started with very recent openers, and are SLOWLY introducing the rest of the file over time. As users OPEN and/or CLICK, they are shuttled into a new list that uses our 'better' delivery servers. (Ideally, engaged users are mailed from an entirely different ESP/IPs.)

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to be totally honest and open with your subscribers. In our case, we led with our face and (very prominently) said something like "THANK YOU for your continued support of Acme Publishing. You're receiving this email as a commenter on our website (as per our privacy policy). If you would prefer NOT to receive these emails, CLICK HERE to immediately unsubscribe." (Once the user CLICKS on CONTENT, change up their delivery servers. If they do NOT click after X messages, drop frequency. If they don't respond after X+Y, bite the bullet and purge them from your file -- but keep targeting them on Facebook, etc.)

If I can help, feel free to message me.
Nice one, maybe even for the kb (@twisted1919)!
Or better yet, perhaps there could be a forum category/thread for 'how to email properly and profitably' ;)

Amazon SES doesn't allow Internet marketing.
Elasticemail doesn't allow affiliate marketing.
I haven't had problems with Mailgun.
I haven't tried the two other you mention.

Back