[DATE] and [DATETIME] dynamic tag values *constantly* update - I think this is a bug.

p. bateman

Hello!

I think I found a bug.

When the [DATE] or [DATETIME] dynamic tags are appended to a custom subscriber field via a campaign send they work as expected, meaning that the current time at the time of campaign send, open, or click (whichever you selected) is written to the custom field you select and it doesn't change.

However, when [DATE] or [DATETIME] is used as a default value on a subscriber custom field, I'm finding that the field's value updates constantly to always return the current date/datetime. See this recording of what I'm experiencing: https://www.screencast.com/t/zCTP9kJyhxg1

Instead I expected that when [DATE] or [DATETIME] is used as a default value on a subscriber custom field that they would write the current time to the custom field of the subscriber at the time of subscriber create and that value would be static and not change constantly.

The only thing that I can think of is that I do have the "subscriber sync custom fields" setting enabled in backend > settings > cron menu. However, that too I expected would have only synced the default field value one time at the time of subscriber create and not ongoing and forever.

Am I right and this is a bug or am I totally missing something?

Thanks!

@p. bateman - Because date time is a dynamically tag is normal to change value on refresh.
You if you save changes before to refresh your page, you will see date time values does not change anymore.

@laurentiu

Interesting! So if I add a custom field with a default value to a list where subscribers already exist AND I have the "subscriber sync custom fields" cron setting enabled, the default value of that field isn't actually saved to each subscriber until each individual subscriber record is individually opened or "viewed" and then saved?

If that's true is there a way in which I can add a new custom field with a default value and force save that value to all subscribers in a list?

If that's true is there a way in which I can add a new custom field with a default value and force save that value to all subscribers in a list?
Custom fields sync - this setting are doing this.

Back