confusion over update version

nadworks

This morning I saw this common message ahead of my MW application:
Screenshot 2021-06-24 102154.png

So without thinking twice I did what I usually do: log into Code Canyon, download the MW and manually update my application via FTP moving files from the "update" folder. At no point was I being warned that I'm in fact updating to 2.X

Only once the upload had finished and I looked at the dire state of the site with a big fat error and breaking into a sweat did I check the forum here and realised that I must have unexpectantly upgraded to 2.X, which I did not want to do today. Gladly I was able to recover the old files from a backup and revert back. But in terms of communication and warnings etc. this was a little misleading and not clear at all.

Unfortunately, Envato doesn't give us options to handle this better.

However, we do name the downloads so they make sense:
Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 13.27.46.png
So after extraction, the folder has the version number, so that's at least a valid hint.

I just don't know any other way to handle this better, I feel we did our best given the limitations we have.

It was all ok in the end. :)
I think the best would have been to have the yellow message say "version 2.0.15 is available" (instead of 1.9.37, which is was unable to get) - that would have been enough warning for me to know that I'll be heading over to download the MEGA update.

Back