Block all domains except certain ones?

avidns

Hey all!

I'm sure this is somewhere around here but I can't seem to find it. I want to set up a new DS but stop it from sending emails to everything except a few domains.

Any ideas?

You can use domain policies for this, you have the option when you create/update a delivery server.

Right I tried that but I'm not sure how to do it. I mean literally block every domain (even premium ones) except say.. AOL.com do I just wildcard it?

Just add AOL.com and set it to allowed, That should do it.

I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying HAHA - so in the future, when I create/update a DS and I set something to "ALLOW" it will only allow that one domain? That's really interesting (and powerful)

and on that same note, if I set it to DENY it will simply DENY that single domain and allow the rest. RIght?

@avidns - i stand corrected, you also need a wildcard entry, so if you want to allow a.com and b.com you then need 3 records, allow for a.com, allow for b.com and finally, deny for everything else, and that is done by using the wildcard star: * operator, followed by the deny policy.
So here it is:
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 10.08.13.png
Makes more sense now?

and on that same note, if I set it to DENY it will simply DENY that single domain and allow the rest. RIght?
Same thing here, you just inverse the policies.

A note about the delivery server policies, you need to make sure you have other servers that can pick-up emails that other servers are not allowed to send to. You will also want to change the settings from backedn > settings > cron so that the "Change delivery server at" setting is half the number you have set for "Subscribers at once" so that MailWizz will be able to switch servers efficiently while doing the send out in case it encounters too many emails it cannot send via a delivery server with policies.
So beware when using this feature, while it is extremely powerful, it is also very easy to shoot yourself in the foot with it.

Back