14 emails per second as maximum send rate

SoftTimur

We use MailWizz and Amazon SES to send newsletters. In Amazon SES, our current "Maximum send rate" is "14 emails per second". Should i do anything in the setting of MailWizz or is it paced by SES automatically?

I see in the backend of MailWizz there is "Hourly quota". If I set it like 50000 emails/hour, will it satisfy systematically the 14 emails/second requirement of SES?

Thank you

According to your settings, when you have 5 campaigns sending at same time, you start 10 processes for each of these campaigns, in parallel, so you end up with 50 processes sending at same time, which can go over your sending limit of 14 emails/sec. So adjust your sending settings according to your limits for a start ;)

According to your settings, when you have 5 campaigns sending at same time, you start 10 processes for each of these campaigns, in parallel, so you end up with 50 processes sending at same time, which can go over your sending limit of 14 emails/sec. So adjust your sending settings according to your limits for a start ;)

I don't understand well your reasoning.

I hardly have 5 campaigns at same time; I always send campaigns one by one. Then, when I have "10" as "Subscriber batches in parallel", I end up with 10 processes sending at same time? Then, what would be the sending speed (i.e., emails/second) in this case?

Thank you

I have checked several threads, it seems that people do have some confusion here. My primary need is to fulfil the requirement of Amazon SES, i.e., 14 emails/second; spending more time for a campaign does not really matter. This issue is important to us, could you clarify how to achieve that?

Thank you in advance.

I discovered the "Pause after send" in Update delivery server, and set it to 80000; and I set "Hourly quota" to 50400. I did not change anything in cron. I sent a newsletter to 30000 subscribers yesterday, and there were 3% non-delivered emails with the error "Maximum sending rate exceeded".

I have read the link you posted, but it's beyond my comprehension. I cannot understand how these "Campaigns at once", "Parallel sending via PCNTL", "Campaigns in parallel", and "Subscriber batches in parallel" work with "Pause after send" and "Hourly quota" of delivery server.

Too many parameters are involved, but what I want is just to send a newsletter that feeds Amazon SES with no more than 14 emails/second. Please help.

Thank you

Last edited:
Remove the "Pause after send" value, you don't need it.

Set campaigns in parallel to 1. and Subscriber Batches in parallel, increase it to 10. That's all.

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to send my newsletter to another 30K subscribers in several hours. To be clear, did you mean applying the following settings should be OK?

Hourly quota: 50400
Pause after send: 0

Campaigns at once: 5
Subscribers at once: 500
Parallel sending via PCNTL: Yes
Campaigns in parallel: 1
Subscriber batches in parallel: 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just sent the newsletter to 26246 subscribers with the above setting. The delivery rate was even worse: 91.629%. The errors were "Maximum sending rate exceeded".

Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
My assumption was you won't be sending more than 1 email/sec, which was very very wrong apparently.
Can you keep the settings, but lower down the number of "Subscriber batches in parallel" from 10 to 5, and add a 1 second pause after send? (1000000)

My assumption was you won't be sending more than 1 email/sec, which was very very wrong apparently.
Can you keep the settings, but lower down the number of "Subscriber batches in parallel" from 10 to 5, and add a 1 second pause after send? (1000000)
OK, I will send my newsletter to another set of subscribers in several hours with the following settings, and will let you know the result:

Hourly quota: 50400
Pause after send: 1000000

Campaigns at once: 5
Subscribers at once: 500
Parallel sending via PCNTL: Yes
Campaigns in parallel: 1
Subscriber batches in parallel: 5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used the above settings to send a newsletter to 16K+ subscribers. Before the sending, my previous demand of increasing quota was approved; then the "Maximum send rate" was "28 emails per second".

All the emails were delivered. I also notice that throughout the entire sending process, the percentage under "delivered" was always 100% regardless of the number of delivered emails, while throughout my previous campaign, the percentage was not 100%. So we were able to ensure 100% delivery rate.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 15.25.20.png

However, it took 1.5 hours to send these 16K+ emails, it was too slow. Which parameters could I adjust to make it faster and still ensure the 100% delivery rate? I guess we could lower "Pause after send", but to which extent?

Last edited:
I just updated the previous thread with its result...

The easy answer is, try half a second and see. 500000.
The real answer is more complex and involves running your campaigns as explained at https://www.mailwizz.com/kb/debug-send-campaigns-command/ to see exactly how they need adjustments.

Remember, there's no straight answer, you need to test what works best for you.
Amazon SES has increased my "Maximum send rate" to "28 emails per second".

I attach my current setting. With this setting, throughout the entire sending process, the percentage under "delivered" is always 100%. But it is slow. It takes 35 minutes to send 10K emails.

I tried to change "Pause after send" to 500000, but it was not faster.

What parameter do you suggest me to modify to achieve a faster email sending?

Attachments

• Mail Server _ Cron jobs settings.pdf
    154.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Delivery server.pdf
    92.3 KB · Views: 2
Back