What is the best and cheapest MW friendly vps hosts?

Mike Jensen

Been thru 2 vps servers already... 1and1 and PumaHost. 1and1 couldn't get smtp sending to work. Pumahost has awesome power and price... but they and I cannot figure out bounce imap error (yes I have the 5.3 cli php extension installed with 5.4php regular web version).

Try linode.com or digitalocean.com. However you won't be able to use php 5.3 cli with 5.4 and you really should install 5.6.

I have php 5.4 and php5.3 on my current vps, is that why I cannot add bounce/feedback servers and gives need cli imap php installed, even though it is?

Ok, I have PHP 5.6.14 cli. I can add bounce servers fine and the imap error went away when trying to change a bounce server host name. With the new php update, I now cannot very my own smtp email addresses to use for sending. Do I need to change cron paths? I verified my amazon ses sending smtp's just fine...

If you use ntPHPselector, you can run several versions of PHP on your server and set the version of your choice per directory

enjoy if you like it!
;)

Last edited:
...or install ISPconfig3 on your server. That way you get an open source CPanel kind of solution where you could easily swap between different PHP versions.

good to know, thx!
can you set the php version used per directory, or only for the whole server?
will it also slip-in the right extensions (eg zend, ioncube, etc) fitting that php version?

Last edited:
Been thru 2 vps servers already... 1and1 and PumaHost. 1and1 couldn't get smtp sending to work. Pumahost has awesome power and price... but they and I cannot figure out bounce imap error (yes I have the 5.3 cli php extension installed with 5.4php regular web version).

what kind of control panel and container do they use?

try to stay away from OpenVZ (as some providers do heavy overselling and limiting of resources there). kvm is usually the best, especially because you can do snapshots, even from within the container ;)

would be interested in the specific re 1and1 and PumaHost vps problems, feel free to PM me.

Vultr for the win.
If you must have CPanel, pick one of the supported CPanel distros (ex. CentOS 7 x64).
Pick the $10/month instance as a minimum.
Buy your own CPanel VPS license from BuyCPanel for $14.95/month. (They buy licenses in bulk as the regular price at CPanel main is $20/month.)
Run this as root "curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh latest" and follow the instructions.

You'll have a managed server @ half the price or more of a lot of the major managed VPS hosters out there. Just submit a ticket to support after you finish to remove the SMTP block.

Last edited:
If you look around, you may be able to find cPanel for $10 at some VPS providers

enjoy if you like it!
;)

Last edited:
Vultr for the win.
If you must have CPanel, pick one of the supported CPanel distros (ex. CentOS 7 x64).
Pick the $10/month instance as a minimum.
Buy your own CPanel VPS license from BuyCPanel for $14.95/month. (They buy licenses in bulk as the regular price at CPanel main is $20/month.)

Or for start you can choose vps from ovh ($3,49 for 1 vcore, 2GB RAM, 10 GB SSD) + cPanel ($13,99 / unlimited domain) or Plesk 12 ($2,79 / 10 domain). You can upgrade anytime.
Or... instead of hosting panel you can connect your vps to serverpilot :).

I use ISPconfig3 and I have done so for many years. It's free, it's good and it's easy to use. Currently I run three different PHP versions. It's dead simple to install too. Unlike CPanel there are no limitations on e.g. number of domains.

So in ISPconfig3 you can set the php version per directory?
Where did you encounter domain limits in Cpanel, I thought it would be unlimited (pending server hardware limits, of course)?

Back