Rotating server idea

Joseph

Can this be done? Let's say:

I buy 5 small servers. All setup with simple VestaCP and their SMTP servers are enabled with dovecot.

In my main server with Mailwizz, I add all the 5 servers under "SMTP".

Then I set "Change Server" at every 10 emails.

Will Mailwizz change rotate the 5 servers at every 10 emails sent?

Is that how "Change Server" works? And do I look at Application Log in "Miscellaneous" to see if it works?

Pretty much, yes. One caveat is that mailwizz can break the habit if it sees one server performing better than another, this is why you can compensate with a hourly quota, since a service reaching it won't be used that hour.

OK that's great.

Now let's say I have 5 servers and all are running at, say, 100 email per hour.

I add a new server #6 and set it to 30 emails per hour for purpose of warming up.

I set "Change Server" to every 100 emails.

When Mailwizz comes to server #6, once it hits 30 emails, does Mailwizz go to the next server, or it waits for X period and email to #6 again till it reaches 100 emails?

Just want to get the logic right.

OK, another question. For bounce server and feedback, do I use the main server or do I have to setup the same emails (ie. return@, fbl@,abuse@,postmaster@,etc) for EACH of my smtp servers?

That correct. especially for fbl, you have to set those 3 email addresses for the domain the bounce email is created for.

OK, another question. For bounce server and feedback, do I use the main server or do I have to setup the same emails (ie. return@, fbl@,abuse@,postmaster@,etc) for EACH of my smtp servers?
RFC says abuse@ and postmaster@ are a must, all else optional. You can use either for FBL registrations, it will work fine.

Thanks everyone. I've tested and I get this error:
smtp; 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from xxxxxxxx.com is not accepted due to 550-5.7.1 domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of 550-5.7.1 xxxxxxxxxx.com domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the 550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. d11si14112049wrx.131 - gsmtp

How do I resolve it?

Thanks everyone. I've tested and I get this error:
smtp; 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from xxxxxxxx.com is not accepted due to 550-5.7.1 domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of 550-5.7.1 xxxxxxxxxx.com domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the 550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. d11si14112049wrx.131 - gsmtp

How do I resolve it?
Make your SPF, DKIM, and then DMARC work :cool:

I found the issue. It seems like I have to set "Force FROM" as "Always" and the above message is gone. However, I don't know what's the impact.

Any advise?

@Joseph - Force FROM tells your delivery server to use the email address you set in it's settings as it's FROM address.
When you set it to never, and send a campaign for instance, the FROM becomes the address set in the campaign, and most of the servers don't like this, and delivery fails.

I think that's the issue. I set it to "Always", this server gets blacklisted by Gmail pretty fast. But if I set it to "Never", I get error message "mtp; 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from xxxxxxxx.com is not accepted due to 550-5.7.1 domain's DMARC policy....." as mentioned above. How do I work around it?

I think that's the issue. I set it to "Always", this server gets blacklisted by Gmail pretty fast. But if I set it to "Never", I get error message "mtp; 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from xxxxxxxx.com is not accepted due to 550-5.7.1 domain's DMARC policy....." as mentioned above. How do I work around it?
Simple consistency will do: FROM = ReplyTo = bounce = sender
This way, the receiving server has no guess work, and filters no doubt.

Back