Postal MTA

@esphosted - @Stanley Ukadike is actually using it and these days we actually even worked together to implement bounce processing via webhooks inside mailwizz for postal, so upcoming version of mailwizz will have support for processing bounces for postal ;)
That's GREAT!
One related question: has anyone compared performance and features of
postfix with IP rotation (manual setup)
postal
postfixadmin
iredmail
?

My two cent on postal. It is a new software and i think its barely 6months old. The community around it is rapidly growing. It's open source so can be modified if you know what you are doing. As a new software it currently has its limitation. The developers initially created it specifically for their use-case. Nevertheless they keep enhancing it based community request. Is it better than other free alternatives? MOST DEFINITELY. I never regret taking the bold step to try it out (what's there to loose, its a standalone system, i can shut it down if i dont like it but I LOVE IT). The bounce processing issue aside (which has been solved thanks to @twisted1919) the only limitation i think it has for now is rate limiting which the developers acknowledge they are working on. Although i realised you can actually manipulate this by setting the hourly quota in mailwizz and reducing the number of workers running in postal. Lets all watch and see what comes out of it. I have high hopes. For a free application, it is definitely worth it.

My two cent on postal. It is a new software and i think its barely 6months old. The community around it is rapidly growing. It's open source so can be modified if you know what you are doing. As a new software it currently has its limitation. The developers initially created it specifically for their use-case. Nevertheless they keep enhancing it based community request. Is it better than other free alternatives? MOST DEFINITELY. I never regret taking the bold step to try it out (what's there to loose, its a standalone system, i can shut it down if i dont like it but I LOVE IT). The bounce processing issue aside (which has been solved thanks to @twisted1919) the only limitation i think it has for now is rate limiting which the developers acknowledge they are working on. Although i realised you can actually manipulate this by setting the hourly quota in mailwizz and reducing the number of workers running in postal. Lets all watch and see what comes out of it. I have high hopes. For a free application, it is definitely worth it.

Agreed, there is almost no risk.

Re rate limiting: what you describe are still viable options, and probably soon there will be improvement.
(In postfix you can manage the queue, rate limits, and back-off/grey listing mode.)

What are some of the highest speeds/throughputs you have seen?

What are the limits to scalability mentioned above?

Re bounce processing: you mean it works now by smtp as well as web api?

Thanks for the review, this helps save time :)

What are some of the highest speeds/throughputs you have seen?
I haven't pushed the application for speed yet. Still warming up my ip addresses. I cannot risk them getting blacklisted. Even worry the speed gets too fast sometimes.

What are the limits to scalability mentioned above?
Honestly i don't understand the topic scalability being discussed here. It is an MTA. Performance relies a lot on hardware. I have it installed on an aws instance with auto-scaling configured.

Re bounce processing: you mean it works now by smtp as well as web api?
@twisted1919 is a genius. The dswh controller created in a way that you can easily add new functions and Postal supports webhooks. So now i send with smtp and configured postal to push bounces to a new endpoint implemented in the dswh controller. Like he said there would be more support for postal in future mailwizz updates. We may even see a postal-web-api delivery server.

I haven't pushed the application for speed yet. Still warming up my ip addresses. I cannot risk them getting blacklisted. Even worry the speed gets too fast sometimes.
There are was to test without risk, e.g. to your own pool of addresses or into the void ;)
But as cool as postal sounds, we will whip up an install soon to test it - yay!

Honestly i don't understand the topic scalability being discussed here. It is an MTA. Performance relies a lot on hardware. I have it installed on an aws instance with auto-scaling configured.
Some folks like to expand their sending infrastructure in various ways, e.g. linking different providers for obvious reasons, but aws is doing a good job for sure.

So now i send with smtp and configured postal to push bounces to a new endpoint implemented in the dswh controller.
So if you send by smtp, you don't get bounces into smtp back directly and have to use the webhook?

Definitely an interesting development :cool:

Guys, any tutorial how to install it and make it working with mailwizz? i tried to install postal on my server but i got some errors when installing and i destroyed my server again, and waiting for an solution.

all looks good for postal; but unfortunately, it not salable solution
Considering it is built on rabbitmq (just like mailerq which is highly scalable), it might just be a matter of time til the postal folks get it scaleable as well ;)

Any update on Postal integration with MW?
As @twisted1919 said, it will be in the next release.

I am going to setup PowerMTA 4.0 with 15 IPs . Anyone using PowerMTA 4.0?
You will find more here:
https://forum.mailwizz.com/posts/25585

I think postal is way over the other free alternatives.
Definitely really great, and considering still under development, the commercial guys get a run for their money! Great interface too, very intuitive and lovely done, a joy to work with :D

Back